Marcus Anthony of www.marcusanthonyphoto.com has only been a photographer for a few years and since starting, has built a six-figure business and it all comes down to a few key principles he follows religiously. My number one aim for this interview was to learn how he’s done and doing it so you can emulate his success and learn how you too can run a successful portrait photography business today.
STOP PRESS: I’ve just learned Marcus has had a record USD$55,111 month.
Marcus has been a PhotoBizX Premium Member since January 2017 but it was a conversation with photography business coach, Bernie Griffiths that had me reaching out to him for this interview. Bernie suggested if I want to talk to a photographer who transformed his business by learning to shoot for sales, speak to Marcus.
When researching for this interview, I was told Marcus picked up a camera to try and make “a bit of money” on the side.
He established himself quickly as a wedding photographer but has since moved to portraits.
Based in Wilmington, North Carolina and specializing in wall portraits of families, children and babies – it sounds like his business is going from strength to strength!
Here’s some more of what we cover in the interview:
- Why Marcus transitioned to portraits from wedding photography in his business
- How Marcus started a career in photography
- Business prior to photography
- The importance of having a laser focus attention and a mentor for guidance
- Why you don’t need to spend time on your website to get started in photography as a business
- Advice on improving your shooting style – for money
- Knowing what sells and photographing portraits of kids and families with sales in mind
- How to recognize a saleable image for your client
- Are you shooting portraits for art or for your business?
- Is it still ideal to sell digital files to your portrait clients today?
- Marcus’ number of shots per session and the number of images he shows to clients for the best sales
- Power tips on lowering your editing and culling time
- The importance of staff who understands and value your business
- Why phone calls instead of Facebook messenger bots in this photography business
- How to strategically convince clients to buy instead of taking only the free photos – from photography promotion
- Pricing and sales sessions in detail with Marcus